<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thesensitivefoodiekitchen.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sensitive Foodie: Sensitive seasoning

Friday 28 September 2012

Sensitive seasoning

I love fajitas; crunchy fried vegetables with warming seasoning, either cooled by yoghurt and avocado or zingy with salsa topped with piles of cheese. And it's so easy to make - one fajita kit and a pile of veg and 15 minutes later dinner is on the table.
Of course, having a milk intolerance cuts out the dollops of yoghurt and lashings of cheese, and finding a fajita kit in the shops in India can be nigh on impossible. So I bought whatever fajita seasoning  and wraps I could find and made the rest myself. One day, I found a new brand; checking the ingredients (as I do with everything I buy!) I found that it had milk powder in it along with a whole load of E numbers, anti-caking agents and loads of other chemicals. I went right off it! That's when I decided to create my own seasoning with whatever I had in my kitchen.
The basis of fajita seasoning is chilli powder, ground cumin and salt, three ingredients readily available in any Indian kitchen so we were good to go. Luckily, I had inherited a pile of spices from a friend who had recently left Bangalore, so I had paprika and garlic powder too. Cayenne pepper was more of a challenge but the best thing about this seasoning is you make it how you like it and with what you have to hand. I defiantly put in less salt than the packets!
Fajita seasoning recipe  - amounts are suggestions
  • 1 teaspoons chili powder - or more if you like it spicy
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
 If you have chilli flakes or dried onion powder this works well too and you can add a little sugar or corn flour to get the sticky caramelised texture as well. Once you've made a batch up just keep any left overs in a separate pot until next time. Yum!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home